About the Blog

"Adventures in a Flipped Classroom" is written to document the start of teaching in a flipped mathematics classroom. It is hoped that these stories will spark discussion on how best to help students learn as much as they can - all comments to improve the learning environment, both positive and critical, are encouraged and appreciated.

Friday, September 7, 2012

End the Week Right

    The first week is over!  I am so excited about this year and almost every one of my students has shown a very positive attitude about learning.  Today was the final modeling day with my students - we start discussions and practice on Monday!  In the second day with my even day classes, here are my observations.

Period 1 - AP Calculus AB

    While the first video was not available for us to watch together, I think that these students will do a fine job of pausing and rewinding as they need it.  We went over the expectations of how to WSQ, looked at the WSQ checklist for the first chapter, and finished passing out books and calculators.  We also spent some time discussing the different types of questions that they will encounter on exams, especially calculator-active questions that test theory and therefore the calculator is of no help.  Many students last year got very frustrated on these problems because they thought "this is calculator active - there must be a way to use the calculator!"
   
    We did have a couple minutes at the end of class where we talked about some basic trig facts that are necessary for success in calculus.  We'll continue to review these facts as we go through the first chapter on limits.  I usually make these limits very trig-intensive to reinforce these facts that are used throughout the year.

    I also considered encouraging the AB students to write "HOT" questions (higher-order thinking) in their WSQs, but I decided that I would wait at least one chapter and pilot the idea with the 14 BC students.  I'd like to make a guide that gives good examples of math questions at all of the different Bloom's Taxonomy levels so that students will be better prepared to ask good application, analysis, synthesis, and evaluation questions.  I probably will not emphasize writing HOT questions with Algebra 2 until at least November - I want them to get comfortable asking questions that they can think of and not "I have to make it HOT."

Period 3 - AP Statistics

    We did our opening activity which covers experiment design, simulation, sampling distribution, dot plots, and so much more.  I was excited and the students were really engaged.  I think this will be an awesome class.

    It has such a different feel from calculus.  In calc, they're the top students mathematically.  Period.  There can be such a serious nature at times.  I'm challenging these students in a way that they haven't been challenged before (flipped class or not), and this can lead to huge growth and, a necessary byproduct, stress.  AP Stat has some of the top students overall - students strong in math, science, English, and social studies.  There is a flair in the room where creativity is encouraged and necessary, where you can use thinking and reasoning skills to answer almost anything.  I just need to remember to continue the emphasis that "every number is this class has a meaning."

Period 5 - Algebra 2

    This class had me the most worried on Wednesday.  They seemed decently strong in some basic math areas, but also seemed more social, active, and rambunctious than all of my other classes.  Today, we watched the entire first video and I modeled how to pause, rewind, and take notes.  To my astonishment, everyone was quiet and actively engaged in the video.  They generated discussion among themselves, took guesses on answers to questions in the video, and seemed genuinely excited to try it on their own.  I asked a couple of students afterwards - students with "reputations" - what their thoughts were on the flipped classroom.  Each answered extremely positively and brought the talk back to how it will improve their learning.  It may have just been them repeating my enthusiastic comments, but the responses seemed quite genuine.  If they're convinced it will help them, they'll be more apt to watch the video and complete the WSQ; however, I'm not sure what will happen once the novelty of the method wears and we are in the routine.  Hopefully they'll be trained to complete WSQs and motivation won't be a major factor in their class participation.

The Flipped Class Model:

    Being a week in, I've come up with a few major tenets of my flipped classroom.  I'm going to rely on these pillars for supporting learning in the classroom and, while some procedures may change as the year progresses, I do not anticipate changing these.
  • Expectations are Clear.  Students need to know what to do and when to do it.  They have to know that they are capable of completing the task at a high standard.  The student also needs to know what to expect from me.  They receive a How To WSQ document which explains how they should watch, summarize, and question.  The WSQ checklist keeps students focused on task completion and helps them to remember when discussions will happen, especially if they are absent.
  • Communication is Key.  Students are expected to keep me informed of their individual situations.  There is absolutely no excuse for a student entering the classroom unprepared for the day's discussion without my knowledge.  They can contact me through e-mail, Edmodo (which goes straight to my phone), or by giving me a written note (either in person or school mailbox).
  • You must meet me in the middle.  Students need to be an active member of the solution to any problem that affects their learning.  If that is technology access issues, we work together to find the solution.  If it is completing WSQs on time, we work together.  The attitude is best modeled by Cab Calloway in the Blues Brothers movie when he told his orphan kids that "Your lazy butts are in this too!"  It's their learning - own it.

Technology Update

    We are still working through some technology glitches, but they seem to be behind us.  I'm going to try to put together 4 more videos before the weekend so that most of next week can be uploaded to YouTube, Edmodo, and Edline on Saturday or Sunday.  The broadcast department has been awesome in working this plan.  Their quality is outstanding and customer service is top notch.  I can't thank Stacy, our center coordinator, and her students enough.

    I have had great success uploading videos to YouTube for students to watch.  I disabled any comments, posts, etc. associated with the video and set it to unlisted (so that only those with access to the link will be able to see the videos).  I have also appreciated the ability of TinyURL in creating easy-to-remember links to the videos.  The links are the broadcast to the students using Edmodo and Edline.

    I believe that the stage is set for success.  The expectation is clear - we ARE a flipped classroom.  The students have bought into the idea - they reflect my enthusiasm.  Parents, both of students who have been successful and those who have not been successful in math classes, have indicated their belief that this model could help their students learn at a higher level.  Now we share the work and LEARN.

No comments:

Post a Comment