About the Blog

"Adventures in a Flipped Classroom" is written to document the start of teaching in a flipped mathematics classroom. It is hoped that these stories will spark discussion on how best to help students learn as much as they can - all comments to improve the learning environment, both positive and critical, are encouraged and appreciated.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The iPad in the Classroom

    I can't thank my wife enough - we got an iPad 9 days ago and already it has made a difference in my classroom.  (This was our compromise to not getting smartphones - better to pay $400 once than to pay $1500 anually.  The math actually works out....)  It has been the perfect addition to my flipped classroom.  The awesome part - I'm not sure that I'm using everything that I could be using!  I'm more organized and able to keep up with deadlines thanks to the reminder and notes apps on the iPad; however, there are so many more apps available to us teachers that I couldn't help but list my favorites here.  These apps make my day-to-day operations in class that much easier.

Dropbox (free):
Dropbox is a standard on mobile devices, such as the iPad.  Dropbox allows me to coordinate files on my personal laptop.  I can use Dropbox to move files from device to device, up to 2GB for free.  In addition to the abilities to move documents, many apps can use Dropbox to make their services available on multiple machines.






Explain Everything ($2.99):

    This app is worth every penny to the teacher who is flipping his or her classroom.  There are many free apps available to teachers who want to record lessons on their iPads, such as ShowMe, Doceri, and Educreations.  ShowMe won't allow multiple pages and Doceri has a very slow response rate when creating presentations.  Educreations is perhaps the best, but it doesn't support PDF import and teachers can only put their lessons on Educreations's website.  Explain Everything allows teachers to import documents from EverNote, Dropbox, photos, etc., apply their notes and voice, and export directly to e-mail, YouTube, etc.  Explain Everything has allowed me to explain math problems to students on a Sunday night before their test.  For a teacher flipping their classroom, there is not a finer app.

Penultimate ($0.99):
 This is the app for teacher who wants a personal whiteboard.  I move from group to group using this app, showing each student (or group of students) some piece of mathematical knowledge.  The drawing is fine enough for math teachers to show enough on each page, while allowing for multiple pages in multiple notebooks.  I can save drawings, share with multiple students, and use many different pen colors with just a push of the finger.  Coupled with a stylus for the iPad, this is a very poweful app.  Included in the $0.99 price are graph paper and lined paper styles, in addition to the white paper default.  A must-have for the flipper!


Planbook Touch ($9.99):

Planbook is, in my opinion, the best education planning software available for teachers on Mac or iPads.  The software is able to create a book based on your particular schedule at your school.  If a school meets every-other-day, the Planbook has you covered.  Have a special schedule every week?  The Planbook has an option to set itself up for you.  You can save lessons and assignments, and Planbook even allows you to "bump" lessons to the next class period if you need another day on a particular topic.  Assign units, assignment, and standards to each lesson to keep you planned through the year.  This app, which is the most expensive, is certainly worth the $10.  You can e-mail lesson plans and coordinate with Dropbox.


TeacherKit (free):
As a free app, this is a surprisingly comprehensive classroom organizational tool.  Teachers can input seating charts, document grades and student behaviors, and record attendance.  Advanced teachers can even import student photographs for instant recognition.  This app can help teachers to stay organized and informed while moving from room-to-room.







Twitter (free):
How can a teacher use Twitter?  We honestly spend more minutes dealing with Facebook and Twitter drama than teaching on many days.  On Twitter, I follow teachers.  I follow superintendants and professors.  They share articles and ideas.  They share what they did in class and the struggles they had in class.  When a teacher asked "what do I do with the 55 students who didn't watch the video?"  I knew that my problem with students watching the video was a common problem, regardless of my experience with the flipped classroom.  Finally, I have connected my Twitter account with my Facebook account so that my support group of family, friends, and colleagues can offer their comments, questions, and concerns.  Twitter has been an amazing professional development tool.

There are many apps available, like TeacherNotes and Timer+, which help me as a teacher (they're both free).  I'm excited to learn about other apps that will help me as a teacher, especially as one in a flipped classroom.  And I'm still searching for the best way to project what I write on my iPad through a projector in my room.  Your ideas are always helpful!

2 comments:

  1. I don't see an option to subscribe to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it should be fixed now! Let me know if you're still having any trouble.

    ReplyDelete