About the Blog

"Adventures in a Flipped Classroom" is written to document the start of teaching in a flipped mathematics classroom. It is hoped that these stories will spark discussion on how best to help students learn as much as they can - all comments to improve the learning environment, both positive and critical, are encouraged and appreciated.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Plan the Work, Work the Plan

    Day one is over and the flip has officially begun!  I got to see my AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, and one of my Algebra 2 classes today.  Because the freshman assembly ran over its allotted time, I only got 15 minutes with my AB class (which included introductions and greeting the ~32 kids in that class).  I was disappointed that I didn't get more time with them - I didn't even get a chance to introduce our flipped classroom yet - but I will see them tomorrow for another 30 minutes, as long as assemblies don't go over tomorrow as well.  Here's a rundown of the first day's activities:

First Day's Activities - The Plan:

My 3x5 card that I used as a model.
    Students were greeted into the classroom and given a 3x5 index card and a blank sheet of paper.  On the card, they wrote their name at the top, three things they like on the left side of the card, and three things they do not like on the right.  I'll use these cards during the school year for random questioning and other items where students are randomly selected.

    As students finished writing their 3x5 card, they used one side of the blank sheet of paper to tell me everything they wanted me to know about them.  I anticipated this activity to improve the creativity of my students and get them to give me information that I might never think to ask.

    Finally, I introduced the students to their groups for the first part of the year and they were tasked with complaining about math homework and math class.  I challenged them to come up with 10 things they didn't like about the traditional math class.  I figured that this would help energize the discussion about the benefits of the flipped classroom.

    At this point I could reveal the flipped classroom to my students.  I strongly believe that I need to sell this idea to my students as well as possible - think Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross.  An enthusiastic student means a supportive parent.  A questioning student means a potentially concerned parent without having seen anything in action yet.  I need to show my students that this is in their best interest - how better than to explain how it helps many of the problems they identified in their group?

    And while I passed out books, loaned out calculators, etc., calc students worked in their groups on a local linearity activity and algebra 2 students worked in their groups on some basic combining like terms and solving linear equations.  The students turn in their 3x5 card, piece of paper, and intro work.

The Plan, Revisited:

Period 1 - Calculus AB

    For first period being shortened in half, I can't complain with the results I saw in my plan today.  Calc AB only got the 3x5 card and brainstormed what they didn't like about traditional math homework and math class.  I wasn't able to get to introduce the flipped classroom or see their syllabus for the year.  That'll be first thing on the docket for tomorrow morning.  I'm a little worried that they left the room brainstorming about what they don't like about math, but the smiles I saw among the crowd told me that they couldn't wait to find out why they were doing such an absurd activity.  I bet many can't wait to hear what's going on.  Just please, please, don't cut my time.  Maybe if I explain my case to the AP people, they'll move the exam....

    I didn't get as much information on the "blank page - tell me about yourself" as I might have expected, but I got a ton of information from this group I wasn't expecting.  They told me their habits, feelings toward the class, and much more.  I've already started my list of follow-up questions (i.e. you said you like to travel - where do you like to go?).  With a class of 32, this may be the best way to start building personal relationships with the individuals.  I also found one where the student is looking to drop calculus for AP Photography.  I never would have anticipated this - I can now help to better advise this student to their options and help them to make the best decision for their future.  I definitely think that we'll do more blank-sheet activities in the future.

Period 2 - Calculus BC

    Second period was the official 70 minutes, and we needed every minute of them.  Unlike the 32 members of AB, I only have 13 in this class.  I feel like I already have a personal relationship developed with almost all of them.  The dynamic is completely different, but boy did they complain about the assigned seating.  With so much work being done in groups, I need to learn their habits before grouping them.  I am not using chapter 1 discussion time to gossip about summer, etc.  I am also lucky to have placed into each group one student who took AB last year.  I hope they'll help to steer the discussions and provide some of the highest order thinking questions, at least early on.

    These top students took to their group assignments like ducks to water and we got right to talking about the flipped classroom.  The responses I got were extremely positive, but I do notice some reluctance early on.  They want to see how this is going to work.  These students have been extremely successful playing the "traditional math classroom game" and I think they may be initially uncomfortable changing standard operating procedure.  However, I think these students want to succeed, want their classmates to succeed, and will do whatever is necessary for the good of their learning and the class.  Some are really excited about it.

Period 4 - Planning

    Thanks to our impeccable broadcast team at Matoaca, I got to spend about 45 minutes working with a team member to create the first three videos I'll need.  The first was the parent video.  I know that it'll be subpar compared to the excellent examples out there (youtube: flipped classroom parent), but I hope the most important part is that it's me doing the video.  The parent letter explains the rest in great detail.

    I also recorded the video for permutations/combinations and AP Calc's introduction to limits.  Again, they aren't where I want them to be yet, but this was our first recording session.  I'll take the feedback from my students and move forward.  Everything can't be perfect.  But again, I think the most important part of the process (at least initially) is that it is me in the videos teaching examples that will be referenced in the class practiced.  I'll use these two videos on Thursday and Friday for in-class modeling of the WSQ.  This should allow me more time to finish the rest of the videos by Friday or Monday.

Period 6 - Algebra 2

    Every critique of the flipped classroom was that these students wouldn't buy into the program; however, these students were the reason I decided to flip in the first place.  Needless to say, I was relatively anxious by the time they entered my classroom.  Besides, they'd been talked at all day by teachers.  They knew they just had to get through one more and they'd be done.  And a couple acted like that all period (although, come to think of it, I think they turned in all the work I expected).

    I had to help them through the group work initially, providing more support than I did during either calculus class.  The students did well, in my opinion, with some too interested in working individually.  That'll be a tough habit to break, but the expectation set will help.  The idea of a flipped classroom received a lot of very positive comments among the students - I was pleasantly surprised.  I think that the traditional model has failed some of these students and they are excited to give something new a try.  I had students asking question after question about the WSQ, how it works, and what I expected.  They were relieved when I said it wasn't homework tonight (their only homework was to join Edmodo, answer the class poll, and bring back the signed parent letter), but it seemed that they were eager to get to work.  I'll take that positive attitude.

    Some students showed neutral attitudes.  Not one showed a negative attitude.  But if I told the class that I had ordered pizza for everyone, some would still show a neutral attitude.  I can't fight that - just keep selling and being enthusiastic about learning.  I had three students ask me about flash drives because they didn't have internet at home.  I was so impressed - each asked about it in a very positive way.  They bought in.  They wanted the videos badly.  And they were working with me to find solutions to their unique needs.  Not one student today tried to argue about the videos or complain that I was asking too much.  It's only day one, but it's one good start.

Tomorrow and Beyond:

    So I get to see Calc AB again - hopefully we can start the local linearity activity and get acquainted with the idea of a flipped classroom.  I get to see my other algebra 2 class - I hope that we'll see similar success with positive attitudes there.  And then, on Thursday and Friday, students will get their WSQ checklists, question starters, and we'll practice a WSQ together in class.  Weekend, students WSQ, and we discuss on Monday and Tuesday.  I've planned my work; now I work my plan.  But even as I do it, I realize that I'm only one part of the classroom - how well will my students' positive attitudes translate into positive work ethics?

No comments:

Post a Comment